Call-to-action works with a very compelling psychological concept that includes border size, width, color, CSS effects and copy. This concept is mostly used by marketing professionals, however, most of them are still quite clueless on how this actually works. If done correctly, then there are greater possibilities to accomplish desired results.
To have a better understanding of how psychology of the call to action works, one should be an expert in conversion optimization concept. Sufficient knowledge on how to motivate human behavior is the first step.
How to increase the effectiveness of call to action through Psychological Principles
It is a natural course of the human mind to have certain expectations for a call to action.
In marketing strategies, call to action is an essential part of a logical progression for surfers to land onto a particular page or website. This concept is called the perceptual set theory. To better understand this theory, it provides descriptions on how the human mind recognizes things.
The human mind generally uses a three fold perceptual process that considers people, experiences and objects. These three fold process includes inferring, interpreting and selecting. These factors form human expectations and it enhances human motivation.
To break this process down:
- Selecting – normal human behavior tends to pay an initial consideration to sensory inputs. These initial considerations may vary and may come as conflicting factors affecting the result on how one will react to a certain stimuli. These factors that are perceived by human sensors may or may not affect human focus depending on which stimuli is stronger and lasting.
- Inferring – human’s brain is like a CPU that stores data of past experiences and these data are usually triggered when a similar experience is at hand. In most ways, this inference will affect the tone of mood or reaction one may have depending on the result or effect previously experienced.
- Interpreting – after a good selection and data processing, the human mind will combine both information it then turn it into a conclusion or interpretation.
After careful discussion of the bits and pieces of the psychology behind call to action, it is best to also understand the call to action button creation process and how human mind recognizes graphics and texts as far as marketing is concerned.
Marketing strategies provide a number of channels that ignites call to action from readers and subscribers. There are link buttons, flashing text and photos commonly used to entice the human brain and get one’s attention.
This strategies ultimate goal is to make people click the call to action buttons and explore what is behind them. Almost all marketing campaigns at present, works this way.
Just like any other principles or theories, there are specific rules that one has to follow to accomplish ultimate objectives.
- It is imperative to opt for a very prominent call to action that includes a graphical button which captures the attention of human mind almost immediately. Choose a suitable icon or text to accomplish this.
- Color is another important factor, the color of the call to action button should not just be different but should stand out from anything found in the page.
- Options for text used in the call to action button, it should be clear and catchy. The usual texts like sign in, buy now, read more are commonly used. To get best results create a more unique text or call to action button and be more specific.
- Make sure to use language that your subscribers will easily understand. The stated information in the call to action button should be accurate and not just a plot to catch attention.
- Call to action button should be obvious and very visible so subscribers will easily identify.
- Proper positioning also plays a huge role when it comes to the effectiveness of a call to action button. Logically place your CTA in a position where it’s easier seen and is not at all interfering with the rest of the information in the page.
The page background should have proper color and design that will not distract readers. Your CTA should be placed in a space that is with an empty background.